Thursday, July 25, 2013

Not Another Goal/Resolution Blog!

It seems everyone is talking about goals, as is the habit this time of year. I am a very goal oriented person, but I've never really fallen in with the New Year's Resolution thing. It is just too...I don't know...forced? Yeah, that's probably it.

That said, I am sitting down and making a list of goals for myself, despite the seeming forced nature of it. These are not your average, run-of-the-mill beginning of a new year sorts of goals, though.

Nope. My goals are a bit different.


  1. No matter how strong the urge to adopt a new kitten may become (and it WILL be strong), resist. Two cats are enough, even for a Crazy Cat Lady. And no matter how much Dakota may be trying to trick me into thinking she's finally becoming a normal cat, it is all a lie. She is not normal. She would not adjust. There will be no more kittens in my house. At least not this year.
  2. Read a book in a genre I've never tried or never liked. I read lots of the same sorts of books, and I read certain books over and over again in lieu of trying something new. But you know what? Many times that I've tried reading something outside of my normal realm, I've fallen in love. And I think that those other genres could help me to become a better writer. So I'm going to go there. I'm going to pick up something new and unexpected, and I'm going to give it a go.
  3. See all the new superhero movies of the year...but try something sci-fi, too. I will be the first to admit I'm a huge sucker for Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the Avengers, et al. I will also be the first to admit that anything dealing with alien species and outer space, unless it is a tried and true favorite like Star Wars or Star Trek, makes me want to run screaming in the other direction. But something happened a couple of years ago. One of those superheroes came from another planet (Thor), and I found I didn't absolutely hate it. So I'm going to try some more. I might not love it as much as I'd love them to make yet another version of Spiderman, but I'm going to give it a try.
  4. Let the dishes sit in the sink for a bit. I'm almost freakishly intent upon immediately washing the dishes after a meal or at least loading them into the dishwasher. This comes from living in a house growing up where the dishes would pile up until there wasn't anything clean to eat on, and still people would go find a paper plate or napkin to eat on instead of washing the dishes. I know why I'm like this. But it wouldn't kill me to let the dishes pile up through the day and then deal with them all at night in a single session. I'm going to learn to find a middle ground. Granted, I will probably have to start small. Letting the dishes wait until after I've eaten my meal might be all I can handle at first. LOL.
  5. Buy a cute outfit in a color other than green, blue, purple, or red. Yes, jewel tones are great for me. But that doesn't mean those are the only colors that I should own. Part of the process in completing this one will require me to pass when I discover a cute outfit in one of these particular hues, so it will mean I'll have to have some restraint. But I will do it.
Do you have any oddball sorts of goals for yourself this year? And would it be cheating if I went with a pastel shade of the aforementioned colors?

**Originally published at Lady Scribes**

No comments:

Post a Comment